Tips on Preparing for Your Big Day
Congratulations, you’re engaged! Before you know it, you’ll have the wedding of your dreams. But first, you need to plan it.
Wedding planning can be overwhelming, so we suggest you start small, and bring in some pros to help. Hiring a wedding planner right away can be one of the best vendor decisions you make. They are experts in their field, familiar with every vendor and venue, and every step of the way they will help keep your grand vision (and budget) in mind. Supported by a professional, those never-ending wedding planning decisions suddenly become much easier.
Wondering about the etiquette surrounding plus-ones, invitation wording, seating charts, inviting kids (or not) to your wedding? Planners have seen it all, and they know the answers to every quandry you can imagine.
Next up, start to plan your ceremony. Receptions get a lot of attention, but it’s the ceremony that’s truly the most important part of your day. Think about who you want to officiate your wedding. Whether it’s a religious leader, a friend or family member, or a professional officiant, your choice will set the tone for the ceremony—and sometimes dictate the venue.
You may also meet with your officiant before the wedding for pre-marital counseling. Whether you’re having a religious or secular ceremony, counseling beforehand can help ensure you and your partner are on the same page when it comes to those big life topics, and have the tools to discuss issues going forward
During this time, begin to think about what type of wedding you want: large or intimate, formal or casual, local or destination, and so forth. Start browsing magazines and blogs, set up a Pinterest board, and attend wedding fairs for inspiration.
The Wedding Fair™ is Minnesota’s premier wedding fair, bringing together the best wedding vendors in the Twin Cities. Taste cake and catering samples, talk with wedding pros and watch a runway fashion show—this is a one-stop shop for everything wedding. It occurs three times a year— January, March and October. The Wedding Fair™ is the ultimate wedding planning experience.
Questions to ask your wedding planner:
- What is your fee? Is that all-inclusive or are there additional costs?
- Are there package options?
- Are you available on our preferred wedding date?
- Will you be onsite the day of my wedding?
- Will you have a team?
- Will you book multiple weddings on the same day?
- How often do we typically meet during the planning process?
- Will you attend vendor meetings with me?
- Have you planned a wedding at our venue before? Or a similar style venue?
- Are there any aspects of wedding planning that you don’t get involved with?
- Do you have references?
- And ask yourself: Do we like this person? You will be spending a lot of time with your wedding planner—make sure you like their personality.
Tips for creating the perfect registry:
- Register at a minimum of three different stores. This way if your guests are from out of town, they will most likely have a store nearby. You can also create online registries.
- Break registering into multiple days. Trying to get it done all in one day will become overwhelming. Think bedrooms and bathrooms one day, tackle the kitchen department another day.
- Register for gifts in all price points. This way your guests can choose a gift they know you’ll love at a price they can afford.
- Be careful not to register for seasonal items. If you are registering nine months ahead of time, they may not have these items when your guests go to purchase them for you.
- If you’ve already built your home together, think of some good ideas for an alternative gift registry. Try a honeymoon fund or donations to your favorite charity.
- Look for a store that has some perks. Do you get a percentage off registry items after the wedding (usually between 10-15%)? This incentive is often found with the larger retailers.
Check out the best planning + preparation vendors in Minnesota
Minnesota Wedding Guide is honored to work so closely with some of the best planning and preparation vendors in the state of Minnesota. We have now made the hunt for the perfect vendors easier for you! Get your FREE copy of our Minnesota Wedding Guide to search over hundreds of vendors or view planning and preparation vendors here on our website!
Minnesota Wedding Guide
Main blog image by MVPHOTOS